What is breast augmentation?
Breast augmentation is surgery which is designed to increase breast size. This is generally achieved with the use of breast implants which are placed either under the breast tissue itself, or under the muscles of the chest wall.
Why undergo breast augmentation?
There are several reasons women may wish to increase the size of their breasts:
- they feel their breasts are too small
- they feel one breast is significantly smaller than the other
- correct loss of breast volume following surgery for other breast conditions
- improve their self esteem
- restore the volume of their breasts following pregnancy and breastfeeding
What does it involve?
First, you will have a consultation with Dr Anavekar. At this consultation, you will be asked what your wishes are in terms of size, shape and expectations. Dr Anavekar will ask you some questions and perform an examination to ensure you are fit for surgery and to assess which type of surgery she feels will best suit your needs. Dr Anavekar will then discuss with you the procedure of breast augmentation surgery. Some of the points discussed will include:
- type of implant (shape, volume and size)
- size and placement of the incision
- where the implant will be placed (under breast tissue or under muscles)
- recovery time and what to expect after surgery
- risks of surgery
All breast augmentation procedures are undertaken in an accredited private hospital, under general anaethesia with a qualified anaesthetist. The operation generally takes approximately 2hours.
What happens after surgery?
Following surgery, it is recommended that you stay overnight in hospital. Patients feel uncomfortable for several days, and it is therefore advised to take 2 weeks off work and ensure you have appropriate help at home if needed. Activities are slowly increased, however heavy lifting should be avoided for 6weeks. A soft, supportive bra, without an underwire needs to be worn for at least 6 weeks. You will be able to drive once you feel comfortable.
At minimum, you will have review appointments with Dr Anavekar immediately after surgery, one week following surgery, and 6 weeks after surgery. Any additional or ongoing reviews will be scheduled as needed.